Google Pixel smartphones have a plethora of customization options available with rooted apps and different custom ROMs. However, Google doesn’t specifically approve of these modifications and has introduced a stringent security mechanism known as DM Verity (Device Mapper Verity) to avoid such actions. To root your device, install custom ROMs, or any other root-related script, you’ll need to disable DM Verity. In this guide, you’ll get to know how to Disable DM Verity on your Google Pixel and Google Pixel 7 Pro.
How to disable DM Verity on Google Pixel 7 and Google Pixel 7 Pro
Step 1: Install Android SDK
To start off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC or computer. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. You should download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. Doing this will give you the necessary platform-tools folder.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro
Next, you will need to unlock the device’s bootloader. You should remember that doing this will wipe off the data from your device while also nullifying the warranty too.
Step 4: Get Google Pixel 7/Pixel 7 Pro vbmeta.img
- To start off, you should download the factory image for your Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro from below –
Pixel 7 (panther) – Download
Pixel 7 Pro (cheetah) – Download
- Ensure that you’re downloading the same version that has currently been installed on your smartphone (for reference, go to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number)
- Once downloaded, you should extract it to a convenient location on your PC
- Then, head over to the Images folder and you’ll get the vbmeta.img file
- Copy the file and transfer it to your device
Step 5: Boot your device to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using a USB cable while ensuring that the USB Debugging is enabled
- Go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Type the following command in the CMD window for booting your device to Fastboot Mode –
adb reboot bootloader
- For verifying the Fastboot connection, you should type the below command and you’ll get back the device ID –
Step 6: Flash vbmeta and then disable DM Verity on your Pixel device
Execute any of the three commands below for flashing the vbmeta.img and disable the Verity Check.
fastboot flash vbmeta --disable –verity –disable --verification vbmeta.img fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification
That settles the matter. The DM Verity can be turned off in the Pixel 7 Pro in the same way. Leave a comment below if you have any questions about the processes we just covered.