The internal data partitions on an Android device packed into a .img file. At first glance, you may feel that it’s any kind of image file as it uses .img extension. But there is nothing to do with the image if any of the files have .img extension. It’s referred to as mountable disk images that include compressed files.
However, you can’t use or extract the .img file using any of the popular file extractors like Winrar or 7-zip. In order to extract a system.img file from any Android firmware, you will require some dedicated tools. Here we will share with you simple steps on How to Extract System.img Files on a Windows PC.
Most of the Android device users share their system dumps that include system apps and other services or framework components. It will come in handy to develop something or to debug some issues. So, in order to pull out that system dump, you will need to extract or open the .img file that includes within your Android device firmware.
How to Extract System.img Files on a Windows PC
First of all, we need two specific tools called Ext4-Unpacker and Ext2explore. It will convert the system.img file into EXT4 and copy all the files on your PC so that you can use them. Now, check out the requirements below.
- A Windows PC
- Requires system.img file from an Android ROM.
- A ZIP archiver tool. Install it on your PC.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
- First of all, extract the unpacker and explorer ZIP file on your PC.
- Next, launch the ext4_unpacker.exe tool – Click on the Folder icon next to the Image File bar.
- Head over to the system.img file that you’ve saved on your computer and click the Open.
- Select Save as the EXT4 option.
- Choose a location to save the file. Make sure to add a filename and use .ext4 extension after it – Then Save it.
- Wait for the EXT4 to extract.
- Once done, run ext2explore.exe as an administrator.
- Then click on the File tab and click on Open Image.
- Head over to the .ext4 file – Click on Open.
- Select the .ext4 file – Choose Save.
- Now, choose a folder to save the extracted system dump files – Click on OK.
- Wait for the process to complete. Go to the location where you’ve extracted the system.img file on your PC.
Steps to Repack System.img Files
Keep visiting the blog for more info.