Many Instagram users have been reporting that their Instagram stories appear blurry after uploading. If this happens to you, then you shouldn’t be worried as it is more common than you may think. If you’re having this issue, there are multiple ways you can troubleshoot and correct the issue. In this guide, you’ll get to know why your Instagram stories are blurry and how to fix them.
Why are my Instagram stories blurry?
Your camera’s quality is all that matters when it comes to Instagram Stories, and you have no control over how well they’re uploaded. Instagram’s compression feature is at blame if your Instagram story appears hazy.
Compression and quality degradation occur for all Instagram stories. If you post high-quality stories, you won’t notice the compression quite as much.
Instagram stories could be blurry due to a wide variety of reasons. Here are some of those issues –
- Your Instagram connection (the most common reason for this issue)
- Your smartphone takes high-resolution photos and Instagram lowers the resolution or crops it
- Your Instagram version might be an issue
- You might have the wrong Instagram photo and video quality settings and need to change them
How to fix the blurry Instagram stories issue?
Method 1: Adjust the Instagram settings when using mobile data
There are settings on Instagram that keep your mobile data usage to a minimum and this option significantly lowers the quality of the feed. For toggling off this restriction, follow these simple steps –
- Open Instagram
- Tap on the profile icon located on the right side of the bottom menu
- Choose the “More” option (the three horizontal lines) located on the top right
- Tap “Settings” and head over to the Account menu
- Now, tap “Cellular data use” and then toggle “Data Saver” off
Method 2: Adjust the camera settings on your smartphone
If your smartphone isn’t capturing high-quality photos, you should maximize it in the camera settings menu. To do that, follow these simple instructions –
- Open the Camera app on your smartphone
- Tap the Settings icon located in the top-left corner of the screen
- Adjust the size of the photo to the highest quality
- Do the same thing for the video quality
For doing the same thing on iPhone –
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone
- Scroll down and then tap “Camera” or type it in the search bar
- Adjust the camera quality and then toggle the Auto DHR on
Method 3: Use Instagram’s camera
Even if your smartphone’s default camera is much more powerful, then Instagram’s camera could produce better images on the app. It happens as the camera automatically adjusts to the best possible format for the app, and loss of quality and no trimming happens during compression. Instagram’s camera produces stories that automatically adjust to the format and wouldn’t come pixelated or stretched out.
Method 4: Update the Instagram app
Instagram gets updated automatically if a new update arrives. However, sometimes this isn’t the case. If your Instagram version is old, the Instagram stories could appear blurred.
To fix the issue, open the Play Store and look for the Instagram app. If the app has got a new update, you’ll see an update option on the app’s store screen. Tap on it and then wait for the app to finish updating.