Samsung developers have been busy distributing the new Android 12-based One UI 4.0 and One UI 4.1 updates to eligible devices for the past few weeks. While the South Korean OEM isn’t providing any official Android 12 updates for its older devices, the users can still enjoy the features by using the Lineage OS 19.1 custom ROM. A few years back, Galaxy S5 entered the market with pre-installed Android 5 OS and it is still going strong. While the official upgrade cycle ends with Android 6, it can still run on the unofficial Android 12L update thanks to the Lineage OS 19.1 custom ROM.
Experience Android 12L on Samsung Galaxy S5
The LineageOS team and XDA Developers have done a lot of work and taken significant steps in continuing the legacy of the custom ROMs by booting an Android 12L based LineageOS 19.1 ROM on it.
The Galaxy S5 users will be able to take advantage of the new features and changes of Android 12L. Moreover, the device will also have access to LineageOS 19.0 functionalities. Further, there will be two different versions of the Samsung Galaxy S5, which means you can ensure that you’re owning the Snapdragon 801-powered LTE version. The developer will offer different builds for the klte (SM-G900F/M/R4/R7/T/V/W8), klteduos (SM-G900FD/MD), and kitchen (SM-G9006V/8V).
- Enable USB Debugging on your Samsung Galaxy S5. Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock from the Developer Options.
- Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked and your device is rooted and you have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your device has more than 50% battery.
- Make sure you have taken a backup of your important data. Now proceed to install Lineage OS 19.1 ROM (Android 12L) on your Samsung Galaxy S5 device.
- Make sure that you have installed TWRP recovery on your Android device.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
Flashing Steps: Lineage OS 19.1
- Make sure your device is rooted and have the latest TWRP recovery installed. (Check the Pre-Requirement Section Above)
- First, download the files from the above link and extract them.
- Now transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Ensure that the bootloader is unlocked.
- Now reboot to the TWRP recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup by selecting the option from the home screen and then your data and cache from the recovery menu.
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP and wipe cache, data, and system before flashing the ROM
- In order to Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. (Don’t select the internal storage)
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP again and install the ROM which is just a .zip file
- Go to Install -> Install Zip > ROM File (.zip)
- Next flash the Gapps file like custom ROMs
- Last but not least, flash Magisk (optional) if you want to root (not recommended as all devices have different methods)
Once the flashing process is completed, reboot your Samsung Galaxy S5 and you will be booted into Lineage OS 19.1 ROM Based on Android 12L. If you have any doubts regarding this process, feel free to comment below.