Update November 1, 2017 – Official Alpha Build Of TWRP 3.1.1-0 is now available For Pixel 2 (walleye): A Detailed Guide To Root Google Pixel 2 and Install TWRP Recovery (Both SuperSu and Magisk): Google has announced the second generation of its Pixel smartphones, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2. While the Pixel 2 looks almost identical to its predecessor, the 2 XL has seen some substantial design changes: it’s jumping from a 5.5-inch display up to a 6-inch display, and that display now covers almost the entire face of the phone. Both phones also support “Active Edge,” which means you can squeeze their sides to trigger certain actions. By default, it’ll launch the Google Assistant and silence phone calls. And then there are the Pixels’ cameras. They gave the Pixel 2 to DXO for early testing, and the phone apparently got a record-setting score of 98. The conclusion to all that is Google Pixel 2 is an amazing and best rated latest smartphone.
Though the Google pixel 2 is an amazing smartphone it can also be rooted and rooting google pixel 2 can be easy if you follow this guide. In order to root any device we must need a custom recovery to be installed, TWRP is the best custom recovery available for Google Pixel 2. TWRP is a custom recovery which allows you to install firmware updates, custom ROMs etc, manually on your device. Also, TWRP helps the user to create backups and make a factory or advance wipe. Installing TWRP is an essential step in order to root an android device, as root directories can be installed by a custom recovery like TWRP easily.
As the Pixel 2 has been launched yesterday (04-10-2017) it has all the things up to date but still custom recoveries can be useful for the device. Rooting Pixel 2 gives you several types of freedom like you can uninstall unwanted system apps if any and much more, so rooting Pixel 2 can be beneficial for you. If you want to install TWRP and Root Pixel 2 then just follow this guide correctly as each step has its own importance if you miss anything you can end up bricking your device. Be ready to experience Google Pixel 2 with the power of root, but before proceeding, we have gathered some essential information for you read them before making any progress further.
Now, there are many advantages of a phone like the Google Pixel 2 which has an openable bootloader which means that the smartphone can be rooted easily and the TWRP recovery or any custom recovery can be installed on your phone. Now, we have attached a method below so that you can install TWRP recovery on Google Pixel 2 and root it by installing SuperSu root pack
Also, if you install TWRP recovery on your smartphone then you can also root your smartphone and then you can install any other ROM as well. Now, you should follow this guide properly for a successful installation of recovery on your phone.
You need a computer in order to flash the TWRP recovery on your device. Once the installation process is complete, you can follow the below step by step instructions to download and flash the superSU zip file or latest Magisk on your to grant the root permissions to your device. Follow the guide carefully and make sure to a complete backup before you proceed.
If you are new to TWRP recovery and rooting then here we first share some facts about Android rooting.
- [Download Links Added] Lineage OS 15.0 Device List | All Android Devices (Android 8.0)
- [Official List] Android Oreo Device List- List of the devices which will get official Android 8.0 update
- Full List of devices which have received Lineage OS 14/14.1 (Download)
- Download Magisk v14.0 and Magisk Manager v5.3.0 (Oreo Root)
- FlashFire v0.70 is available for download with support for Android 8.0 Oreo
What is Rooting An Android Device Mean?
- 1 What is Rooting An Android Device Mean?
- 2 Warning
- 3 Pre-Requirements
- 4 How To Install TWRP Recovery On Google Pixel 2(Both SuperSu and Magisk)
Rooting is the process of gaining full admin control of the Android device.You can use the device to its full potential,‘Rooting’ means giving yourself special privilege or “root permissions” on your phone. It’s similar to running programs as administrators in Windows.
After rooting your device you can install different MODs, kernel, ROMs on your device.You can install latest Android updates (like the Android 6.0.1 marshmallow) On old device by installing third party ROMs like CyanogenMod 13.You can overclock the CPU and GPU of your device to get the best performance.You can hibernate any app you want.You can underclock the CPU to get better battery life.
For more information about Android rooting, check out our detailed post here > What Is Rooting Android Phone? Advantages And Disadvantages
What Is TWRP Recovery and Some of its benefits?
TWRP is a custom recovery for Android.It is the most popular Android custom recovery.It replaces the stock recovery On Android devices.It comes with many extra features compared to the stock recovery.It needs the bootoader to be unlocked.
- Users Can Install Custom ROMs, MODs, Kernel via TWRP recovery
- Users can flash system image (.img) file via TWRP recovery.
- You can flash modding zip files
- It is being used to install Xposed Modules
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- Users can root by flashing magisk via TWRP recovery
- You can create nandroid backup via TWRP
- Can remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery.
- You can flash Custom Kernel To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data via TWRP recovery.
- Top 5 Best Nintendo 3Ds Emulators for Android, Windows and Mac
- Top 50 Must Have Root Apps For Android 2017
- 5 Best Text Editor Apps for Android
- Top 5 Best Texting Apps For Android 2017
- Enable root for apps on lineage Os (Supersu zip)
- How to remove “App is Running in the Background” notification on Android 8.0 Oreo
- Android 8.0 Oreo Battery Drain Issue: Here’s How To Fix
rootmygalaxy.net will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your device while following this tutorial. Do it at your own risk.
- Make sure battery percentage is more than 60%
- Make sure you have installed USB Drives on your PC.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer.Guide Quickest Way To Install Android ADB and Fastboot (with drivers) on Windows or How to Install ADB and Fastboot on Mac or Linux
- Now Enable Developer option.Guide How to Enable Developer Options & USB Debugging on Android
- Create a nandroid backup on your device How To Create & Restore Nandroid Backup On Android Devices
→ Full Guide to safely and Install TWRP Recovery
How To Install TWRP Recovery On Google Pixel 2(Both SuperSu and Magisk)
First, you have to unlock the bootloader then Install the TWRP recovery then flash the SuperSu or Magisk to get your device rooted
How To Unlock Bootloader On Google Pixel 2
- Check out the Pre-Requirement Section above (Important)
- If your bootloader is locked then check out the guide here
How To Install TWRP Recovery On Google Pixel 2
- First of all, make sure you have followed each and every step mentioned in the pre-requisites section
- After that, you have to download the Download TWRP 3.1.1-0 (walleye) New and transfer it to your Google Pixel 2
Once transferred, follow this guide from below to install TWRP recovery on your Google Pixel 2. (Same as flashing the stock ROM)
Note: Find the Scatter File from the downloaded TWRP zip file, which you have downloaded. Rename the TWRP (.img) file to recovery.img. Now, on the flash tool interface, navigate and select the scatter file and At this stage, just leave the recovery as ticket/ checked. Now, at the location tab, click on the storage location field of the recovery and search and browse for the custom recovery image file which is device-specific
#1 Using SuperSu (Root Google Pixel 2)
- Download the latest SuperSu.zip
- Now follow the given guide to Install SuperSu On your device to get root access
#2 Using Magisk (Root Google Pixel 2)
- Download the latest Magisk
- Now follow the guide to flash magisk via TWRP to get root access on your device