OnePlus is known for its affordable flagship-killer smartphones in the mobile market that offers best-in-class design, premium hardware specifications, better software update support, and the highly optimized OxygenOS skin. The company has launched its latest OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro this year. Now, there is no need to say about Android OS and its unlimited possibilities of customizations or flashing. So, it may possible that even a new OnePlus 8 series user can want to flash custom firmware using the custom recovery tool. If you’re also interested in it, then check out How to Install TWRP Recovery and Custom ROM on OnePlus 8/8 Pro.
OnePlus devices and OxygenOS are always developer-friendly in all circumstances that users & developers always appreciate a lot. OnePlus devices always get better support from the third-party developers when it comes to custom recovery, flashing Custom ROM, custom mod files, and more. It’s worth mentioning that before doing any third-party customizations, your device bootloader must be unlocked. It’s an essential part of the device customization.
Talking about the TWRP Recovery, it’s a third-party fully-featured and easy-to-use custom recovery file that can be used on Android devices by flashing it as a stock alternative. But the stock recovery doesn’t have advanced options to play with it. While the custom recovery like TWRP has so many useful features for all the noobs or advanced users that can be used in a simple way. Once done, users can easily flash third-party firmware, patch updates, root file, mod file, take a Nandroid backup & restore, performing the factory reset, and more.
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP is a custom recovery for Android. It is the most popular Android custom recovery. It replaces the stock recovery On Android devices. It comes with many extra features compared to the stock recovery. It needs the bootloader to be unlocked. Some devices like Xiaomi and Huawei phones need an unlock code.
- Install Custom Firmware file
- Can install Root and Unroot also
- Install Custom Modules after Rooting
- Take a full Backup with System Image (Nandroid backup)
- Restore the backed-up data
- Features advanced options than the Stock Recovery
- Full Wipe Data including Dalvik, Cache, System, Vendor, etc (If any)
- Manually flash incremental OTA update files
- Format or Repair Broken Partitions
Steps to Unlock the OnePlus 8/8 Pro Bootloader
- You can check out the full guide here.
OnePlus 8/8 Pro TWRP – Link (codename: instantnoodle)
Disclaimer: It is recommended to do the task at your own risk and to be on the safer side, please keep a backup of your current files.
- Make sure the battery percentage is more than 60%
- Make sure you have installed USB Drives on your PC.
- The stock ROM should be installed on your OnePlus device.
- This TWRP file and guide are applicable for OnePlus 8/8 Pro.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery for OnePlus 8/8 Pro
- Update your handset to the latest stock firmware before unlocking the bootloader.
- Now, check How To Unlock Bootloader On Android devices
- Download the TWRP file and extract the .gz file using 7-zip.
- Now Enable Developer option. Guide How to Enable Developer Options & USB Debugging on Android
- Create a Nandroid backup on your device How To Create & Restore Nandroid Backup On Android Devices
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Guide: Quickest Way To Install Android ADB and Fastboot (with drivers) on Windows (Important)
- Next, run the below code using Fastboot mode on the PC.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, flash the TWRP by following the command below. (Change the twrp.img name with the actual twrp file name)
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery mode.
fastboot reboot recovery
- You’re done. Now, you can install custom firmware or root on your device using the TWRP Recovery.
Steps to Install Custom ROM on OnePlus 8/8 Pro
- Once the TWRP Recovery installed on your phone, it will boot on your device automatically.
- Make sure that you’ve already downloaded the custom ROM file that you want to flash.
- Now, tap on Install from the TWRP menu > Browse the downloaded ROM file and choose it.
- Then Swipe the slide to start flashing the custom ROM.
- It may take a couple of minutes. So, have some patience.
- Finally, reboot your OnePlus 8 series device normally and wait for the first boot.
Keep visiting the blog for more info.
Rootmygalaxy a.k.a RMG was started in 2015 with a solo goal of Helping users with easy How-to guides. Slowly the website started sharing exclusive Leaks and Tech News. In these 5 years, we have been credited by the likes of Forbes, CNBC, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, Android Authority, GSM Arena and many others. Want to know more about us? Check out our About Us page or connect with us Via Twitter, Facebook, Youtube or Telegram.