Install TWRP and root Sony Xperia Z3 on Android 6.0 Marshmallow Firmware: Sony Xperia Z3 was the second flagship launched by Sony in 2014. It was one of the top models at that time and even today it can be compared with other top devices and it will emerge on top. Since its launch almost three years ago, Sony has rolled out two full versions of Android updates. Now, Xperia Z3 is all set to receive the third update which was set to be for Android Nougat but because of some issues Xperia Z3 and Nexus 5 can’t officially get updates to Android Nougat.
Therefore, if you are a Sony Xperia Z3 user, you will have to suffice with Marshmallow update. In this post, we will be telling you how to install TWRP recovery and root your device to make it run on the official Marshmallow from Sony.
The process is fairly easy; you will just need to fulfil few pre-requisites, complete a few downloads and then follow the step-by-step guide mentioned below to safely Install TWRP and root Sony Xperia Z3 on Android 6.0 Marshmallow Firmware
- Have a backup of all your important data and files.
- More than 50% battery percentage.
- You must have ADB installed.
- You must have the unofficial Sony flashtool by Androxyde.
- Sony flashtool by Androxyde
- Recovery_for_ MM575-291v5.zip
- Chainfire SuperSU.zip
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide. Proceed at your own risk.
Install TWRP and root Sony Xperia Z3 on Android 6.0 Marshmallow Firmware
- This procedure is only valid for the following variants – D6603. D6633, D6653, D6643, D6646. If you are running the .291 firmware, you should flash the kernel from .575 kernel.
- Download the .575 kernel for your variant and then rename the .zip extension to .ftf.
- Power off the device and open Sony flashtool.
- Put your device into fastboot mode and then navigate to the downloaded kernel file.
- Once the kernel is flashed, close the flashtool. If you get an error, unplug the phone and try again.
- Power On your device and restart your PC to make sure ADB interface and flashtool are closed properly.
- Now, connect your device to PC again and extract the Recovery_for_MM575-291v5.zip file into a folder on your PC.
- Go to the folder and double click on install.dat. Wait until your device boots into TWRP custom recovery.
- When in recovery, flash SuperSU zip file and don’t reboot system after finishing flashing.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot -> Bootloader.
- Now, open the flashtool again.
- Now, flash the .291 kernel file for your device. Before flashing, don’t forget to rename the .zip extension to .ftf.
- After that, disconnect and reboot your device.
If you have any question related to this post, feel free to leave that in the comment section below 🙂
Rootmygalaxy a.k.a RMG was started in 2015 with a solo goal of Helping users with easy How-to guides. Slowly the website started sharing exclusive Leaks and Tech News. In these 5 years, we have been credited by the likes of Forbes, CNBC, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, Android Authority, GSM Arena and many others. Want to know more about us? Check out our About Us page