Rooting an Android device will help open the door to hundreds of new features and apps that generally won’t work on non-rooted devices. You’ll be able to access functions like custom fonts, third-party themes, exciting features, and more. Moto G82 is an extraordinary smartphone in its own right, but a rooted Moto G82 will be even better. In this article, you’ll get to know how to unlock the bootloader and root Moto G82.
How to unlock bootloader on Moto G82
Motorola devices come with locked bootloaders. In some regions, the users aren’t allowed to unlock the bootloaders of their devices. Here are the steps to unlock the bootloader on your Moto G82.
- Firstly, you’ll need to take a full backup of your device as unlocking the bootloader will reset your device.
- Then, you should install ADB and Fastboot drivers while also adding the needed Motorola USB Drivers on your PC. You’ll be able to use platform tones if you don’t want to use the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- On your device, you should open Settings and head over to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number and it’ll show “You are now a developer” or you’re already a developer.
- Then, go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options. In Developer options, you should enable OEM Unlocking and then enable USB Debugging.
- Then, turn off your smartphone and press and hold Volume Down + Power button for booting Moto G82 into Fastboot mode.
- Once the fastboot screen appears, let go of the buttons. Then, you should connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Open the
Command/cmd window from
C:\adbor through Platform Tools if you’re using them.
- Then, enter the below command for getting the code –
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy this code and adjust it in one line. You can also use a notepad for convenience. Remember that you shouldn’t copy bootloader text in Windows and Info text in Mac.
- Then, head over to the Motorola unlock page and click next, and log in through your Motorola account that is logged in to your phone.
- Cope the one-line code that you’ve adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on the “Can my device be unlocked” button before clicking “Request Unlock Key”.
- Now, you’ll be receiving a code in your mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and then paste in place of “code” and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock ‘code’
- This command will unlock the bootloader of your Moto G82. It’ll erase all the data on your device. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and then set up your device.
root your Moto G82 with Magisk
- First, you should copy the Moto G82 firmware on your PC and then extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can make use of 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now, install the Magisk app on your device.
- Open the app and then click on the Install button beside Magisk.
- Choose “Select and Patch a File” here.
- Browse and select the “boot.img” file. It’ll start to patch the boot image.
- After patching, the output file will appear in the download folder having the name “magisk_patched.img” or something similar
- Copy the patched boot image file to your PC in folder C:\adb or platform tools. Moreover, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto G82 to Fastboot mode and then connect it to your PC.
- Open CMD from C:\adb folder or platform-tools folder when you’ve saved the boot image file. You’ll be able to open it by entering CMD in the file location.
- Check if the device has been connected or not by entering the following command, which should return the device id –
- Then, enter the next command for flashing patched Magisk and root Motorola Moto G82 –
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After you’ve flashed the patched boot image, reboot the device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it isn’t installed already. Check if the Magisk version is the latest. If there is an update available, then you should update to the latest version.
- Complete the in-app instructions and the device will reboot into the system automatically.