Lenovo-owned Motorola has released its one of the best budget category smartphones in 2019 called Motorola One Zoom with quite good specifications and features. The handset came with Android 9.0 Pie out of the box and still haven’t received the Android 10 update officially. Now, if you’re a Motorola One Zoom user and want to customize your handset or install third-party firmware instead of waiting further then this guide is for you. Here you will find the step by step guide on how to unlock bootloader and root Motorola One Zoom easily. Let’s take a look.
As the handset is one year older and running on the Pure Android interface, it has an option to do plenty of customizations like unlocking the device bootloader, flashing a custom ROM, installing root access, flashing a custom recovery, installing the custom mod file, and more. Rooting your device will give you additional user access over the system to do plenty of customizations and implementations which isn’t possible without rooting.
So, if you’re also interested in rooting your handset then check this guide. It’s worth mentioning that unlocking the device bootloader is always necessary and one of the first parts to install any third-party file on your Android device.
What is Rooting An Android Device Mean?
Rooting is the process of gaining full admin control of the Android device. You can use the device to its full potential,‘Rooting’ means giving yourself special privilege or “root permissions” on your phone. It’s similar to running programs as administrators in Windows.
For more information about Android rooting, check out our detailed post here > What Is Rooting Android Phone? Advantages And Disadvantages
Important Note: Without TWRP, you can’t flash the root files like Magisk. Now we have to manually modify the stock boot image by patch to get root access on the device
rootmygalaxy.net will not be held responsible for any kind of damage that occurred to your device while following this tutorial. Do it at your own risk. This will void the warranty of your device.
- Make sure the battery percentage is more than 60%.
- Make sure you have installed USB Drives on your PC.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer. Guide Quickest Way To Install Android ADB and Fastboot (with drivers) on Windows or How to Install ADB and Fastboot on Mac or Linux
- Now Enable Developer option. Guide How to Enable Developer Options & USB Debugging on Android
- Create a Nandroid backup on your device How To Create & Restore Nandroid Backup On Android Devices
How To Unlock Bootloader On Motorola One Zoom?
- First, enable ‘USB debugging and OEM Unlock’ option from setting> developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
- Install the ADB and fastboot drivers and then restart if you already have the driver installed then skip this step.
- After installation of the driver, you can see a folder named ADB in your installation directory. Enter the folder, and you find four files including ADB and fastboot.exe.
- Now press and hold ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in the folder and select ‘Open command window here’ or ‘PowerShell Window’
- Now connect your device to PC and enter into the fastboot mode. To enter the fastboot mode of Motorola One Zoom, type the below command in command prompt.
adb reboot bootloader
- In the command window, type the following command.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The above command will return a string.
- Now copy the code in notepad and delete all the blank space so that you will get a single line string.
- Now head over to the Motorola’s unlock the boot loader site and create a free account or Sign in Google+.
- Now Paste the above String (Unlock Code) at the bottom of the Moto site (step 6) and click on Can my device be unlocked? You also need to accept terms and condition on this page by clicking I Accept.
- The unlock key will be sent to your E-Mail ID, which you used to register at Motorola site.
- Now copy the Unlock Key and execute the following command.
fastboot oem unlock CODE
- The above command will Unlock Bootloader of Motorola One Zoom.
- Reboot and done.
How To Root Motorola One Zoom with Magisk No TWRP ?
#1 Get the stock boot image (Stock Firmware)
- you can download Stock ROM of the device (You can find that on the web or Xda forum)
Download the boot file according to your device. Once downloaded, unzip the file and open it, look for a .zip file. Open that file too, now you will see a file named boot.img (This is the official stock image or firmware)
#2 Patch boot image
- Move the boot.img to your device’s internal storage.
- Download & install the latest Magisk Manager on your device
- Open magisk manager, On the main screen, select Install > Install > Select and Patch a File
- Now select the boot image (boot.img). Magisk will start to patch the boot image.
- After completion, the file will be saved as “magisk_patched.img” in your Downloads folder
#3 Steps To Root Motorola One Zoom
- Connect your device to PC and transfer the “magisk_patched.img” file from your phone’s download section to the platform-tools folder on your PC
- Now issue the following command to boot your device to bootloader mode (Make sure your device is connected to the PC)
adb reboot bootoader
- Now issue the command given below to Flash the patched boot image
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- For devices with A/B partition system, use the below commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
Done! Just reboot your device. Your device should be rooted now.
Rootmygalaxy a.k.a RMG was started in 2015 with a solo goal of Helping users with easy How-to guides. Slowly the website started sharing exclusive Leaks and Tech News. In these 5 years, we have been credited by the likes of Forbes, CNBC, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, Android Authority, GSM Arena and many others. Want to know more about us? Check out our About Us page or connect with us Via Twitter, Facebook, Youtube or Telegram.