The OnePlus Nord Series has managed to establish a niche segment of a loyal fanbase, largely due to its USP of providing feature-rich devices without having to burn a hole in your pockets. However, the handsets aren’t the best when it comes to custom development.
If you own a OnePlus Nord N30, you will be aware that custom development isn’t actively supported. You won’t be blessed with hoards of custom ROMs but there is nothing stopping you from gaining administrative privileges and an abundance of tinkering options once you root OnePlus Nord using Magisk.
If you’re looking to root your handset, then this guide will be helpful. In this guide, you will get to know how to root OnePlus Nord N30 using Magisk.
How to root OnePlus Nord N30 using Magisk?
Step 1: Install Android SDK
Firstly, you’ll need to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary offered by Google. You’ll need to download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build Number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on your smartphone
You’ll also need to unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus Nord N30 if you’re looking to root your phone. Remember that doing this will wipe off the data and might even make your device’s warranty null and void.
Step 4: Download OnePlus Nord N30 firmware
Now, you need to download the stock firmware for your OnePlus Nord N30 using the OnePlus official site or through the Oxygen Updater app. Ensure that you’re downloading the same version that is currently installed on your device. You’ll be able to verify it by going to Settings -> About Device -> Version -> Build Number.
Step 5: Extract OnePlus boot.img from Payload.bin
- Once the OnePlus boot.img is downloaded, extract it to a convenient location on your PC
- You’ll get the “payload.bin file”
- You’ll need to extract the payload file using the Fastboot Enhance Tool
- Once it is done, you should transfer the boot.img file to the platform-tools folder
Step 6: Patch the boot.img using Magisk
- Download and install the latest version of Magisk
- Launch it and then tap on the Install button beside Magisk
- Then, choose “Select and Patch a File” before navigating to the stock boot.img file
- After that, select it
- Now, tap on the “Let’s Go” button present at the top right
- The boot.img file will get patched and placed under the Downloads folder on the device
- You’ll have to transfer this file to the platform-tools folder
Step 7: Boot your OnePlus Nord N30 to Fastboot mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using USB cable while ensuring that USB debugging is enabled
- After that, go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Then, type in the following command in the CMD window for booting your smartphone to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- For verifying the Fastboot connection, you should type the following command and you’ll get back the device ID –
Step 8: Boot OnePlus Nord N30 using Magisk Patched Boot.img
There are two methods that you can go for to root OnePlus Nord N30. You can either flash the patched boot.img file directly or temporarily boot it. The second approach is the recommended one as you can easily test that everything is working well. You should only proceed with the permanent installation if it is working well.
If things don’t go as planned, your device might end up in a softbrick or bootloop. If that happens, a normal reboot can fix this issue. With the second approach, you should execute the following command in the CMD window and your smartphone will be booted to a temporarily rooted OS –
fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
Step 9: Permanent root OnePlus Nord N30 using Direct Install
Once you have executed the above command, your smartphone will get booted to the OS with a temporary root. Here is how you can make it permanent –
- To start off, you should launch the Magisk app
- After that, tap on Install -> Direct Install
- Tap the “Let’s Go” option located at the top right corner
- Once it is done, hit the Reboot button at the bottom right
- Your device will get booted to the rooted OS