Samsung Galaxy A71 is a popular device in the budget smartphone domain as it allows you to checkmark the prerequisites without burning a hole in your pocket. Moreover, the device also performs well in custom development. Whether it is flashing custom ROMs, flashing a variety of modules, or gaining administrative access by rooting your smartphone via Magisk, there is a lot that you can do. However, before rooting your device, your device will first need to have a custom recovery. In this guide, you’ll get to know how to install TWRP and root Samsung Galaxy A71.
How to install TWRP and root Samsung Galaxy A71
Step 1: Unlock the bootloader on your Galaxy A71
First, you’ll have to unlock the bootloader on your smartphone. Once it is done, your device will boot up. You shouldn’t restore the data as your device will once again need to go for a wipe in the subsequent step.
- How to Unlock bootloader and Root Galaxy Z Fold 4 (Similar steps on Bootloader part)
Step 2: Boot your device to Download Mode
- To start off, power off your smartphone
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Up keys and your smartphone will be booted to Stock Recovery
- Highlight the Reboot to Bootloader option using the Volume Keys and press the Power key for confirming it
- Your smartphone will boot to the Download Mode
Step 3: Install Odin
Next, you’ll need to download and install the Odin Tool to your PC. This is required for flashing the TWRP and disabling AVB on your device. Click here to download the latest Odin file. Once it is done, extract it to a convenient location on your PC.
Step 4: Disable Android Verification Boot on your device
- Start by downloading the vbmeta disabled.tar file on your PC
- Connect your smartphone to your PC using a USB cable
- Launch the Odin Tool and then click on the Userdata button
- Navigate to the downloaded tar file and then open it
- Finally, click on the start button to get a prompt stating “You have to reset your device to factory settings”
- Use the Volume Keys for selecting the reset option before hitting the Power Key to confirm it
Step 5: Download the Magisk apk
Download the Magisk APK file as it’ll be used for rooting your Galaxy A71. Download it and rename the APK to ZIP to make the file TWRP flashable.
Step 6: Download the TWRP Recovery for Galaxy A71
Get the latest custom recovery for your smartphone from the following link.
TWRP Recovery for Galaxy A71 – Download
Step 7: Install the TWRP Recovery for Galaxy A71
- Launch the Odin Tool on your PC before clicking on the AP button
- Head over to the downloaded TWRP.tar file, select it, and then click Open
- Hit the Start button and TWRP will flash onto your device
- Use the hardware key combinations for booting your device to TWRP directly
Step 8: Disable Encryption on your device via TWRP
- Once your smartphone boots to TWRP, head over to Advanced -> Terminal
- Type the following command and then hit Enter –
- Your smartphone will resize the vendor and would ask you to run multidisabler again
- Once again, you’ll need to execute the following command and then hit Enter –
- Once it is done, go to Wipe and then select Format Data before typing in “YES” in the space provided
- Tap on the checkmark located at the bottom right and your device will reset now
- Once the format is complete, go to Reboot and then select Recovery to reboot your device to TWRP
Step 9: Root your device via Magisk
- Now you should flash Magisk and then root your smartphone.
- Head over to Install in TWRP, choose the Magisk ZIP, and then perform a right swipe for flashing it
- Once the Magisk file is flashed, you should reboot the device to the OS
- Head over to Reboot and then select System as your smartphone will boot to the rooted OS with TWRP installed permanently
The guide concludes here. In this article, we walked through the process of rooting a Samsung Galaxy A71 and installing TWRP Recovery. Don’t hesitate to ask questions regarding any of the above procedures below in the comment section.