Samsung has recently launched its flagship smartphones called Samsung Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus. Both the devices feature flagship category specifications along with Android 10 on the top of One UI 2.0. Now, if you’re using the Samsung Galaxy S20 and Galaxy S20 Plus handset & want to install custom firmware or a custom recovery or root, then you can unlock the bootloader on the Samsung Galaxy S20 and Galaxy S20 Plus.
If you’re new to the customization on Android devices, it’s worth mentioning that you will need to unlock the device bootloader at first. You can easily unlock the bootloader for the global Exynos chipset variants by following the guide below.
A Bootloader is a code that initiates before any Operating System starts to run on a mobile or a computer. Bootloaders basically give instructions to the hardware to boot whether operating system or recovery mode before a boot logo appears. All the bootloaders on Android devices are locked by default due to privacy or security measures.
So, in order to flash a custom firmware or custom recovery or root access or any custom mod file, you will need to unlock the bootloader on an Android device at first.
Samsung Galaxy S20 and Galaxy S20 Plus: Overview
The Samsung Galaxy S20 comes with a 6.2″ Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with Corning Gorilla Glass 6, HDR10+, Always-on display, a [email protected], and a [email protected] refresh rate. It’s equipped with a Snapdragon 865 processor for the USA and Exynos 990 processor for Global. It’s coupled with an 8GB of RAM and 128GB of onboard memory.
It packs triple rear cameras of 12MP + 64MP + 12MP lens with plenty of features and modes. While the front features a 10MP selfie camera. It has a 4000mAh battery, 25W fast charging. In terms of the connectivity options, the handset features Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, GLONASS, NFC, Type-C, etc. While the handset also features an under-display fingerprint sensor, an accelerometer, gyro, an ambient light sensor, proximity, compass sensor.
Talking about the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus, it features quad rear cameras of 12MP + 64MP + 12MP + 0.3MP TOF 3D lens. While the front packs a 10MP selfie camera. It has a 6.7″display, 4500mAh battery, 25W fast charging. While all other specifications are the same.
Steps To Unlock Bootloader on Samsung Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus
Check out the simple steps below.
Part 1: Enable OEM Unlocking
- First, enable Developers Options on your device and then USB Debugging.
- Go to the device Settings > About Phone > Software Information > More.
- Tap on the Build Number quickly for 7 times. The Developer Options will be enabled.
- Next, go back to the main Settings menu > Scroll down and tap on Developer Options.
- Turn on the OEM Unlock toggle. If prompted, tap on Enable to confirm it.
- Before proceeding take a full backup
- Finally, Switch off your handset and press Power + Volume Down together > connect your handset to the PC/Laptop using a USB cable.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button on your phone to unlock the bootloader.
- Now your bootloader is unlocked but the new “Vaultkeeper” service will still prevent you to flash any ROM or other files.
- So you have to make sure that the new Vaultkeepr allow it. To make sure, do the initial setup as the device’s data are now erased after unlocking the bootloader (your phone must be connected to the internet (mobile data or WiFi).
- Now go to “Settings” > “Developer options” and make sure that the “OEM Unlocking” toggle is turned ON and greyed out. Done!!
Note: This process will delete the device data completely.
You’re done!!! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Samsung Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus device.
Rootmygalaxy a.k.a RMG was started in 2015 with a solo goal of Helping users with easy How-to guides. Slowly the website started sharing exclusive Leaks and Tech News. In these 5 years, we have been credited by the likes of Forbes, CNBC, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, Android Authority, GSM Arena and many others. Want to know more about us? Check out our About Us page or connect with us Via Twitter, Facebook, Youtube or Telegram.