Asus has started rolling out the Android 13 update to its Zenfone 9 smartphone. According to tech news website GSMArena, multiple reports from Zenfone 9 owners in various countries have confirmed that the update is now available. Unlike other companies, Asus stages its rollouts by serial number, so it is essentially a matter of luck as to whether a particular device will receive the update.
The new build has the December 5, 2022 security patch level and is labelled WW 33.0804.2060.65. After updating the software, users will be presented with a tutorial highlighting some of the new features of Android 13. This tutorial appears to have been created by Google, but it is impossible to confirm this for certain.
Among the new features in Android 13 are improved notification permissions, cross-device copy and paste, and increased privacy for app media access. GSMArena reports that the Zenfone 8 and Zenfone 8 Flip are next in line to receive the Android 13 update, with the rollout expected to begin next month.
Android 13 What’s New
Android 13 brings a refreshed look to Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, Emergency Dialer, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Sound Recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local Backup, and other Asus apps.
The update also introduces the Notification permission feature, QR code scanner option for the lock screen shortcut, Auto delete to the System clipboard, Themed icons on Wallpaper and style, link quick share feature in Asus Launcher, and more. For a full list of changes, see the changelog below.
Asus Android 13 Changelog
- Upgraded system to Android 13
- Revamped Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, Emergency Dialer, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Sound recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local backup, and other Asus apps
- Adjusted Quick Settings panel, notification tray, and volume panel to Android 13 design
- Added the notification permission feature. You can adjust the permission of each app in the Apps & notifications Settings
- System clipboard added “Auto delete” and editor features
- Added the QR code scanner option for the lock screen shortcut feature, and the “Control from locked device” feature in the Security & lock screen setting
- If option is setup in Digital Wellbeing, system color scheme can now be set to automatically switch with bedtime option
- Adjusted the Vibration & haptic strength setting, Display and font size setting, and the width/length of navigation white bar when choosing gesture navigation
- Changed to the Blocked numbers setting in Phone to stock behavior. You will not receive calls or texts from blocked numbers
- Removed the Call duration setting
- Added the Themed icons option in the Wallpaper & style setting
- Support more color combinations
- Added “link quick share” feature in ASUS Launcher 13. Added Asus customization preferences setting. Allows applying the collection of commonly used customization settings with one click
- Removed the ‘Calm’ and ‘Elegant’ options in the Power button menu style setting. Add the display item management option to allow the user to control the number of buttons in the menu
- Adjusted the design of the dialpad and contacts details page in the Phone app to display information more clearly
- Some 3rd party apps are not compatible with Android 13 yet.
The Android 13 update brings a host of new features and improvements to the Zenfone 9. These include a refreshed look for several apps, improved notification permissions, and the ability to automatically delete items from the clipboard. The update is currently being rolled out to Zenfone 9 devices, with the Zenfone 8 and Zenfone 8 Flip expected to receive it next month. Owners of these devices can manually check for the update by going to the Settings app and selecting “Software update”.