Fix Modern Warfare 2 Screen Freezing issue: Steps to Modern Warfare 2 is an incredibly popular game that players had been anticipating for a long time. However, the game isn’t without its fair share of bugs and glitches. One of the common issues that the players have been experiencing is the Modern Warfare 2 Screen Freezing issue.
Players have taken to Reddit and Steam’s support forums to complain about a slew of crashes and performance difficulties, and now Nvidia has joined the fray with a driver update that’s triggering BSODs and black screens (lol). Even while glitches at launch are par for the course for AAA titles like COD, it’s still puzzling. The good news is that these issues should be fixed within a few days, as Infinity Ward is a top-notch development team.
If you’re one of the players facing this issue, then this guide will be of great help to you. In this guide, you’ll get to know how to fix Modern Warfare 2 Screen Freezing issue.
Here’s some news: Infinity Ward has released a slew of patches to address various issues, including some performance improvements. If problems persist after applying the advice in this article, read it again.
Steps to fix Modern Warfare 2 Screen Freezing issue
Method 1: Restart Steam as administrator
- If Steam is running on your PC, you’ll need to exit it
- Head over to the start menu and look for Steam
- Right-click on the icon and then select “Run as administrator”
Method 2: Verify Modern Warfare 2
- Right-click on Modern Warfare 2 in the Steam library
- Now, select Properties and then select the “Local Files” tab
- Now, click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files”
- Wait for Steam to do its work
- When the process is complete, you should restart your PC
- Launch Steam and then open Modern Warfare 2
Method 3: Launch the game in Safe Mode
While launching the game, if you’re getting a prompt that is asking you to launch Modern Warfare 2 in Safe Mode, then do so by simply clicking on “Yes”.
Method 4: Shaders Optimization
When the game is launching, you’ll get a “Shaders Optimization” loading bar in the top-left corner. Wait for the bar to get completed and continue with the game.
Method 5: Uncheck the compatibility settings
- If Steam is opened, you’ll need to close it
- Search “Steam” in the Windows Search Bar and then right-click on it before selecting “Open File Location”
- Here, you should right-click on the “Steam.exe” file and then go to Properties
- Under Compatibility, ensure that the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option has been unchecked
- Repeat the same steps for the “cod.exe” file by heading over to the installation folder (Default path: C drive -> Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> Call of Duty HD -> cod.exe)
Remember that these aren’t cutting-edge techniques; they’re all very basic at best. Although following instructions should help, we can’t promise that they will solve the issue entirely. Contacting Activision’s support team is your best bet if the problem you’re having is prevalent. There is also the official Modern Warfare 2 Reddit and the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 discussion page on Steam, where you can read the latest information posted by other players.
Featured Image: Call of Duty