The Nord Series is an exceptional budget-level offering from OnePlus and it comes with a long list of exciting specifications and features. OnePlus Nord CE 2 is another great budget-friendly option that comes with tremendous features. As it has a MediaTek chipset, it has struggled to scale the popularity charts in the custom development department compared to its Qualcomm counterpart. But there is a workaround though.
The device has been blessed with a custom recovery, something that has become a rarity these days. As a result, you will be able to take Nandroid Backup, wipe partitions, flash custom ROMs, and make several tweaks on your device within a few taps.
To do that, you will have to install TWRP on your device. In this guide, you will get to know how to install TWRP on OnePlus Nord CE 2.
How to install TWRP on OnePlus Nord CE 2 5G
Step 1: Install Android SDK
To start off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC or computer. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. You should download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. Doing this will give you the necessary platform-tools folder.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on your OnePlus Nord CE 2
You’ll also need to unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus Nord CE 2 if you’re looking to install TWRP Recovery. Remember that doing this will wipe off the data and might even make your device’s warranty null and void.
Step 4: Download TWRP on OnePlus Nord CE 2
- To start off, download the TWRP file for your device by going to the link below –
TWRP Recovery for OnePlus Nord CE 2 – Download
- Once it is downloaded, you should rename the recovery file to twrp such that the name becomes “twrp.img”
- Now, download the stock firmware for your Nord CE 2 and extract the “vbmeta.img” file
- Now, transfer the files to the platform-tools folder on the PC
Step 5: Boot your device to Fastboot mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using a USB cable
- Go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Enter the following command in the CMD window for booting your device to the Fastboot Mode –
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, type the following command to verify the Fastboot Connection –
- If you’re getting the Device ID followed by the Fastboot keyword, then your connection stands successful
Step 6: Install TWRP on your OnePlus Nord CE 2
- First, you should type the below command to disable verify by flashing the vbmeta file –
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Execute the following command for flashing TWRP to the Recovery partition –
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Once it is flashed, you need to use the following command to boot your smartphone to TWRP Recovery directly from the Fastboot Mode –
fastboot reboot recovery
- You can flash the desired file
- Once it is done, you can boot your device to the OS via Reboot -> System