Samsung Galaxy S8 is one of the best selling devices of 2017. There a lot of reasons for its success like the unique infinity display, top notch performance and camera quality. However the Samsung S8 was criticized for the OS. Unlike most Android phones, Samsung does not launch its phones with Stock Android. Instead, the Galaxy devices are released with Touchwiz OS, Samsung’s proprietary OS.
Even though Samsung has put in a lot of work on the development of Touchwiz OS it was not well received by the majority of Samsung users. One of the main reasons for this is that unlike Stock Android, it is not minimal and comes with a lot of unnecessary features and apps. Carrier specific versions of the Galaxy phones even come with pre installed bloatware.
If you are not a fan of bloatwares and wish that you could be able to install Stock Android on your Samsung Galaxy S8, then all you have to do is to follow the below guide. The step by step instructions will guide you to install a Custom Recovery on your Samsung S8 US-Cellular SM-G950U currently running the latest version of Android Nougat and also to root the same.
By rooting your phone, you get the freedom to install any app from your device, including system apps. Also with a Custom Recovery like TWRP installed on your Galaxy S8 you can even flash Custom ROMs which are closer to providing the Stock Android experience.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, Proceed at your own risk.
How to Install TWRP and Root US-Cellular Samsung Galaxy S8
- Make sure that the USB drivers for your Android device are installed on the PC.
- Follow the below Guide Exactly or else it may lead to brick your device. RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage.
- We recommend to take complete backup and proceed.
- Maintain 50-60% battery to prevent sudden shutdown between the process.
Install TWRP Recovery On US-Cellular Samsung Galaxy S8
- Download & install Odin Flash tool on your PC
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Download the TWRP File For your S8 US-Cellular SM-G950U from the download section above
→ Now Follow this guide to Flash TWRP Recovery On your Samsung Galaxy S8 US Cellular SM-G950U > How to Install TWRP Recovery On Samsung Devices Using Odin
Steps to Root US-Cellular Samsung Galaxy S8 via TWRP
- Download the SuperSU zip file from above and transfer the file to your device.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery. (press and hold the Volume Down button + Home button + Power button at the same time.)
- Select “Wipe” from the TWRP main menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once done, go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and select SuperSU (zip file) that you transferred to your device in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen to begin the SuperSU installation process.
(This may take some time as it is a fresh flashing process).
- Once your zip file is successfully installed, go to “Wipe cache/Dalvik” option, select it and then do “Swipe to wipe” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once done, reboot your device from the TWRP main menu
Hope you found this article helpful. If you have queries let us know in the comment section below.
Rootmygalaxy a.k.a RMG was started in 2015 with a solo goal of Helping users with easy How-to guides. Slowly the website started sharing exclusive Leaks and Tech News. In these 5 years, we have been credited by the likes of Forbes, CNBC, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, Android Authority, GSM Arena and many others. Want to know more about us? Check out our About Us page or connect with us Via Twitter, Facebook, Youtube or Telegram.