Google’s latest release comes in the form of Google Pixel 7a. Like any other Pixel smartphone, this one also comes with tremendous camera quality, a clean stock usage experience, fast OS updates, a smooth UI, and more.
However, there is one underrated aspect that isn’t talked about as much as it should, this device is an active player in the custom development scene. There are various custom ROM options that you can use, including LineageOS on Google Pixel 7a.
If you’re looking to use LineageOS on Google Pixel 7a, then this guide will be of great help to you. In this guide, you will get to know how to install LineageOS on Google Pixel 7a.
How to install LineageOS 20 on Google Pixel 7a [Android 13]
Step 1: Install Android SDK
To start off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC or computer. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. You should download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. Doing this will give you the necessary platform-tools folder.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build Number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock the Bootloader on your smartphone
You’ll also need to unlock the bootloader on your Google Pixel 7a if you’re looking to root your phone. Remember that doing this will wipe off the data and might even make your device’s warranty null and void.
Step 4: Download LineageOS 20 Custom ROM
- Next, you need to grab the latest LineageOS ROM and Gapps for your device by heading over to the links mentioned below –
LineageOS on Google Pixel 7a – ROM | vendor_kernel_boot | vendor_boot | dtbot.img | Gapps
- Once you’ve downloaded these files, you need to transfer them to the platform-tools folder on your PC
- Rename the LineageOS 20 ROM to “rom.zip” while renaming the Gapps package to “gapps.zip”
Step 5: Boot your device to Fastboot mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using a USB cable while ensuring that USB debugging is enabled
- After that, go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Then, type in the following command in the CMD window for booting your smartphone to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- For verifying the Fastboot connection, you should type the following command and you’ll get back the device ID –
Step 7: Instead LineageOS 20 on Google Pixel 7a
- First, you should flash the vendor_kernel_boot file using the following command –
fastboot flash vendor_kernel_boot vendor_kernel_boot.img
- After that, flash the dtbo using the following command –
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
- Then, you should flash the vendor_boot using the following command –
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img
- After that, boot your smartphone to the newly installed recovery using –
fastboot reboot recovery
- From the LineageOS Recovery, you should head over to Factory Reset
- Now, choose Format Data/Factory Reset -> Format Data
- Your Pixel 7a will now undergo a reset
- Once it is done, you will get the “Data wipe complete” message
- From the LineageOS Recovery, you’ll have to go to Apply Update -> Apply from ADB
- Go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter
- Once the command prompt is launched, type the following command to flash the ROM file using Sideload –
adb sideload rom.zip
- The process will now start and once it is done, you should receive the Total xfer: 1.00x message
So that’s the guide to install Android 13 based Lineage OS 20 on Google Pixel 7a. If you have any question or suggestion regarding this guide, feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section down below.