OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro are two of the top flagship smartphones from OnePlus, known for their impressive specs and OxygenOS operating system which has made them popular among users who want a high-performance device. In addition to these features, OnePlus is also known for its active participation in custom development, allowing users to customize their devices even further.
One of the ways that users can customize their OnePlus 9 or OnePlus 9 Pro is by installing TWRP Recovery. TWRP, or Team Win Recovery Project, is an open-source custom recovery image that allows users to gain access to a wide range of additional features and tweaks. This can include rooting the device to gain access to even more customizations, as well as installing custom ROMs and other modifications.
In this guide, we will show you how to install TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 9 or OnePlus 9 Pro running Android 13. The steps are straightforward and easy to follow, so you can quickly and easily gain access to all of the additional features and tweaks that TWRP has to offer. Let’s get started.
Step 1: Install Android SDK
The first step is to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your computer. This will provide you with the necessary ADB and Fastboot binaries needed to proceed with the installation. Simply download the tools and extract them to a convenient location on your computer.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. These settings will allow your computer to recognize your device in ADB mode, and enable you to easily boot into Fastboot Mode.
To enable these settings, go to “Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.”
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on your OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro
If you plan on rooting your device using Magisk, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro. Keep in mind that this process will wipe your device’s data and may void its warranty.
- [2min Guide] How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 10T 5G (Similar Steps, you can follow this guide)
Step 4: Download TWRP with Android 13 encryption support
You can download TWRP with support for Android 13 data encryption from the link below:
Step 5: Boot your device to Fastboot mode
To boot your device into Fastboot Mode, connect it to your computer using a USB cable. Then, navigate to the platform-tools folder and type “CMD” in the address bar, followed by entering to launch the Command Prompt.
Next, enter the following command to boot your device into Fastboot Mode:
adb reboot bootloader
To verify the Fastboot connection, type the following command:
If you see your device’s ID followed by the “Fastboot” keyword, then your connection was successful.
Step 6: Install TWRP on your OnePlus 9 /9 Pro [Android 13]
Method 1: Using TWRP recovery (or any other Custom recovery)
- First, make sure your OnePlus 9 Pro is connected to your computer.
- Open the command prompt (CMD) on your computer. If you are unsure how to do this, click on the Start Menu and type “cmd” in the search box, then click on the CMD program.
- With the command prompt open, input the following command:
adb reboot recovery
- This command will boot your device into the currently installed custom recovery mode.
- On your OnePlus 9 Pro, go to the “Advanced” menu, then select “Sideload”. Choose the option to perform a “right flash”. This action will prepare the device for the sideload process.
- Now, you need to transfer the latest TWRP file to the platform-tools folder on your computer. After you’ve moved the file, rename it to “twrp.zip”.
- Open CMD in the platform-tools folder. You can do this by navigating to the platform-tools folder, then right-clicking within the folder and choosing “Open command window here” or “Open PowerShell window here”.
- With the command window open in the platform-tools folder, input the following command:
adb sideload twrp.zip
- This will flash the TWRP file to your OnePlus 9 Pro.
- Once the flashing process is complete, input the following command in the CMD:
adb reboot recovery
- Your device will reboot into the newly installed TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] If you wish to root your device, you can flash the Magisk.zip file in this step. If not, you can skip this step.
- To finish the process and boot your device to its operating system, go to “Reboot” on your OnePlus 9 Pro, then select “System”. Your device should now boot up normally.
Method 2: For Rooted Device
If you already have a rooted device, you can use Magisk to install TWRP. Simply launch the Magisk app and go to the “Modules” section. Then, tap on “Install from Storage” and select the twrp.zip file. Once it is flashed, hit “reboot” to restart your OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro with TWRP installed.
If you want to root your device, simply boot into TWRP and flash the Magisk.zip file.
With these steps, you can easily install TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro running Android 13. This will open up a world of new possibilities for customizing and enhancing your device.