Google is popular for offering some of the best and most advanced smartphones and this is evident from its Google Pixel lineups. The same is the case with the Google Pixel 6 Series. Not only does it have exceptional features but it is also active in the custom development game.
Although there were some initial concerns with the device, you can easily put these doubts to rest as the game has performed amazingly well. The three devices in the Pixel 6 lineup rank as some of the most relevant players in the custom ROM community.
You will get to download the Android 13-based LineageOS 20 and enjoy a plethora of features and tweaks. In this guide, you will get to know how to download and install LineageOS 20 on Pixel 6, Pixel 6A, and Pixel 6 Pro.
How to download and install LineageOS 20 on Pixel 6, Pixel 6A, and Pixel 6 Pro
Step 1: Install Android SDK
To start off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC or computer. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. You should download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. Doing this will give you the necessary platform-tools folder.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build Number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on your smartphone
You’ll also need to unlock the bootloader on your Pixel 6, 6A, and 6 Pro if you’re looking to unlock bootloader and install LineageOS 20. Remember that doing this will wipe off the data and might even make your device’s warranty null and void.
Guide: How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro || How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Google Pixel 6A
Step 4: Download LineageOS 20 Custom ROM
- Next, you need to grab the latest LineageOS ROM for your device by heading over to the links mentioned below. The Recovery file will be vendor_boot.img and ensure that you’re downloading the latest one.
- Download LineageOS 20 – Pixel 6 (Oriole) | Pixel 6A (Bluejay) | Pixel 6 Pro (Raven)
Custom Recovery (vendor_boot.img) – Pixel 6 (Oriole) | Pixel 6A (Bluejay) | Pixel 6 Pro (Raven)
- Once you’ve downloaded these files, you need to transfer them to the platform-tools folder on your PC
- Rename the LineageOS 20 ROM to “rom.zip” while renaming the Gapps package to “gapps.zip”
Step 5: Boot your device to Fastboot mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using USB cable while ensuring that USB debugging is enabled
- After that, go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Then, type in the following command in the CMD window for booting your smartphone to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- For verifying the Fastboot connection, you should type the following command and you’ll get back the device ID –
- fastboot devices
Step 6: Install LineageOS 20 Recovery on your device
- You’ll now need to flash the LineageOS recovery onto your device by executing the following command –
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img
- Once the flashing is done, you should type the following commands to boot your device to LineageOS Recovery –
fastboot reboot recovery
Step 7: Factory reset your device
- From the Custom Recovery, you should head over to Factory Reset
- After that, select Format Data/Factory Reset -> Format Data
- Your smartphone will undergo a reset
- Once it is done, you should get the “Data wipe complete” message
Step 8: Install LineageOS 20 ROM on your phone
- From the LineageOS Recovery, you should go to Apply Update -> Apply from ADB
- After that, go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter
- Once the Command Prompt opens, you should give the command to flash the ROM via Sideload –
adb sideload rom.zip
- The process will start and once it is done, you should get the Total xfer: 1.00x message