Android Oreo was officially launched a few hours back and the factory image for the latest update is already available for the Google Pixel and Nexus devices. You can download and install them by following this guide: Download and Install Android Oreo OTA Update For Pixel and Nexus Devices
Most devices out there have not even been updated to the latest version of Android Oreo yet. In fact, Google only released the factory images at the Android developer’s website since the OTA update was not working on many Nexus and Pixel phones. But the enthusiastic Android developers are very quick, so much so that they have already released the SuperSU and the Magisk Module to root the Google Nexus and Pixel devices.
Using the latest SuperSu and the Magisk Module flashable filles, you can root your Nexus or Pixel device running the latest official stable version of Android 8.0 Oreo. However, you need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on your device, in order to root it. You can follow the above guide to unlock the bootloader and install a Custom TWRP recovery on your Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P devices.
Once you have completed the above-mentioned steps, you can now proceed to root your device running the latest version of Android 8.0 Oreo. You can either use the SuperSU or the Magisk Module method for rooting. While SuperSu is the traditional method for rooting Android devices, Magisk Module is more advanced and comes with several new features like hiding apps from the root, installing custom mods and more.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, Proceed at your own risk.
How to root Android Oreo 8.0 [OPR6] (SuperSU Method)
- First, download the latest SuperSU file from the above link.
- Now transfer the downloaded file to the internal storage of your device.
- Now folllow the guide to flash SuperSu via TWRP recovery and root your device >
How to root Android Oreo 8.0 [OPR6] (Magisk Module Method)
- First, download the latest Magisk Module Zip file and the Magisk installer APK file from the above links.
- Now transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Now you have to boot into the TWRP recovery mode. To do that, switch off your phone and then hold the power and volume down buttons together for a few seconds until you boot into the TWRP mode.
- Once you are in TWRP, select install from the main screen.
- Now, browse for the downloaded Magisk file and then select it.
- Swipe to install the file.
- Once the installation is completed, wipe the Dalvik and Cache and then reboot your phone.
- Your device running Android 8.0 will now be rooted. Now, install the Magisk APK file you previously downloaded and open it to check for root.
That’s it. You have successfully rooted your device running the latest version of Android Oreo, If you are stuck at any point, feel free to comment below for help.