Nothing Phone 1 is the latest entry to the competitive budget domain and it has certainly managed to live up to the hype that it created initially. While it stands true for general users, there was a niche segment of tech enthusiasts who had a few doubts regarding the custom development support for this new player in the market.
Nothing has previously confirmed that it would begin pushing out beta releases of Android 13 by the end of this year, with official stable Android 13 following in 2023. However, Custom ROMs based on Android 13 are now available for the smartphone.
Well, you can put such doubts to rest as Nothing Phone 1 users have been blessed with the first custom ROM. The popular Paranoid Android family is based on the Code Linaro Organization Android base instead of the usual AOSP (Android Open Source Project). In this guide, you’ll get to know how you can easily install Android 13-based Paranoid Android Custom ROM on Nothing Phone 1.
Install Android 13-based Paranoid Android Custom ROM on Nothing Phone 1
Step 1: Install Android SDK
To start off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC or computer. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. You should download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. Doing this will give you the necessary platform-tools folder.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on your Nothing Phone 1
You’ll also need to unlock the bootloader on your Nothing Phone 1 if you’re looking to root your phone via Magisk. Remember that doing this will wipe off the data and might even make your device’s warranty null and void.
Step 4: Download Paranoid Android Android for Nothing Phone 1
- Grab hold of the Android 13-based Custom ROM for your Nothing Phone 1 by visiting the link mentioned below –
Paranoid Android Android Topaz Alpha 1 – Download
- Once the file is downloaded, transfer the ROM to the platform-tools folder on your PC
Step 5: Boot your device to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using a USB cable while ensuring that USB Debugging is enabled
- Go to the platform-tools folder and type in CMD in the address bar before hitting Enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Type the following command in the CMD window for booting your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- For verifying the Fastboot connection, type the following command and you’ll get back the device ID
Note: If your device is connected properly, it will show a device id
Step 6: Install Android 13-based Custom ROM on Nothing Phone 1
- Execute the following command to flash the ROM onto your Nothing Phone 1 and replace the filename accordingly
fastboot update filename.zip
- After that, you should type the below command to factory reset your device
- You can now reboot to the newly installed OS using the below command
Done!!! Your device should boot up into Android 13.