Google has released its latest flagship smartphones in the form of the Google Pixel 7 and Google Pixel 7 Pro and they’re two of the best devices available in the market right now. While you might not have noticed a lot of differences by glancing at the specs sheet, there have been a lot of under-the-hood refinements this time around. Aside from that, these devices are among the most active players in custom development.
However, before you can make any tweaks or adjustments to your Pixel 7 or Pixel 7 Pro, there’s an important prerequisite you need to consider – the bootloader of your device has to be unlocked. In this guide, you’ll get to know how to unlock bootloader on Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro.
How to unlock bootloader on your Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro
Step 1: Install Android SDK
To start off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC or computer. It’s the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. You should download it and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. Doing this will give you the necessary platform-tools folder.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Then, you will need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your smartphone. The former makes your smartphone recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. Meanwhile, it’ll allow you to easily boot your smartphone to Fastboot Mode.
OEM Unlocking will be needed to carry out the bootloader unlocking process. You’ll need to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times -> Return to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
Step 3: Boot your Google Pixel 7/Pixel 7 Pro to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your smartphone to the PC using a USB cable and ensure that USB debugging is enabled
- Go to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and then hit Enter to launch the Command Prompt
- Type the following command in the CMD window for booting your device to Fastboot Mode –
adb reboot bootloader
- For verifying the Fastboot connection, type the below command and you’ll get back the device ID –
Step 4: Unlock the bootloader on your device
- Type in the below command to unlock the bootloader on your Google Pixel 7 or Pixel 7 Pro –
fastboot flashing unlock
- You’ll get a confirmation message on your smartphone
- Use the Volume keys for selecting Unlock the Bootloader option and the Power key for confirming your decision
- Your device will be rebooted to Fastboot Mode but the Device State should be unlocked right now
- This will verify that the process is completed successfully
- You can now reboot your smartphone to the system
- To do that, press the Power key once or type the following Fastboot command –
Done!! The bootloader of your device should be unlocked.