Guide: How to Root Nexus 5x on Android Nougat 7.0 NRD90M OTA (Disable Forced Encryption & dm-verity check).This guide is only for LG Made Google Nexus 5x running the latest NRD90M Android 7.09 Nougat Firmware.
All the latest Nexus devices including Nexus 5X and 6P have received the official Android 7.0 Nougat.If you have updated your Nexus 5x to latest Android 7.0 Nougat and now waiting for root, then this is the right place for you.Rooting Nexus On Latest official Android 7.0 Nougat OTA Update is just like rooting Android N dev.Preview.
The latest version of either SuperSU OR systemless root by Magisk had made it easy to root Android N developer preview release. But that might not be the case with the final release of Android 7.0 Nougat as it is expected that there will be some changes and they might shuffle things a little which might render the current rooting techniques ineffective.Follow the given steps to Root Nexus 5x on Android Nougat 7.0
If that is the case then we have to wait and watch and, only then we will be able to find out if it’ll be possible to root Nexus 5X Nougat update. However, we do have good hope that rooting methods which we used for the preview release would work fine with the final release of Android 7.0 Nougat update. Below is a link to Root Nexus 5x on Android Nougat 7.0 with the latest version of SuperSU and TWRP recovery.
REMEMBER BEFORE ROOTING:
How to Safely Root Nexus 5x on Android Nougat 7.0 NRD90M OTA Update
- This tutorial is only for Nexus 5x
- Make sure there is at least 80% battery left on your smartphone before begin rooting your device.
- Rooting your phone can void your warranty
- After rooting, you can tweak your phone
- You can unroot it if you want
- You can overclock or underclock your CPU to make your phone faster
How to Root Nexus 5x on Android Nougat 7.0 NRD90M OTA Update
You will lose root access, TWRP recovery, dm-verity and forced encryption disabled after installing NRD90M Nougat OTA update on your Nexus 5X but you can get root access back by flashing TWRP recovery 18.104.22.168 back to your device as 3.0.2 won’t boot with dm-verity and forced encryption enabled.
Even TWRP 22.214.171.124 will not be fully supported. Installing zip files from internal storage won’t be possible as the recovery wouldn’t mount /data folder. But there is one good thing, as you’ll be able to sideload zip files from your personal computer and that’s how we will flash the SuperSU zip and get root access.
- The first thing you should do is Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Download TWRP recovery 126.96.36.199 from the link above and then subsequently install it on your device using Fastboot.Guide How to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot On Any Android Device
- Make a separate folder in your PC or laptop and then download and save the SuperSU zip file from the download link above.
- Enable USB debugging on your Nexus 5X.Guide How to Enable Developer Options, USB Debugging and OEM Unlock on Android
- Open the folder where you downloaded the SuperSU.zip file and do Shift + Right click on any empty white space inside the folder and select Open command window here from the context menu to open a command window inside the folder.
- Then Connect your Nexus 5X to the PC and issue the command given below
adb reboot recovery
- Once you are in the TWRP recovery main menu , do the following steps
- Select Advanced from TWRP recovery main menu then ADB Sideload from advanced options.Now Check the Wipe Dalvik Cache and Wipe Cache check boxes.Finally Swipe to Start Sideload from the bottom bar.
- Now start flashing the SuperSu.zip by issuing the following command in the command window
- You’ll get Reboot system option, Once SuperSU zip is flashed successfully. Now select the Reboot system option
- The TWRP might ask you to install SuperSU Before rebooting,select “Do NOT install SuperSU”.
That’s all. Download/install any root checker app from the Play Store if you want to verify root access on your Nexus 5X running Android Nougat 7.0 NRD90M build.
Now the next thing is, How do you Disable Forced Encryption and dm-verity Check on Nougat
Note: Do not forget to backup all important files and folders on your device before proceeding with the following steps as all device data will be erased.
- Boot your Google Nexus 5 into recovery.Guide How To to Boot Into Recovery Mode On Android (Various Ways)
- Now Select Wipe from TWRP main menu.
- Then choose Format Data, then type yes and hit the Go button on the keyboard.
└(This will disable forced encryption on your Nexus 5x running Nougat)
- Remember, this will remove root on your device so you have to reflash like before
- Now reboot your device
Install TWRP 3.0.2-1 on Nexus 5X running Nougat 7.0
After the forced encryption on your Nexus 5X is disabled, you can install the latest version of TWRP recovery — 3.0.2-1. TWRP recovery 3.0.2-1 build for Nexus 5X can be downloaded from the download button below.
- First, download the Download TWRP Recovery 3.0.2-1 for Nexus 5X
- Now follow this guide to flash the TWRP 3.0.2-1 On Nexus 5X How to Install TWRP Recovery On Android via Fastboot
If you have any questions related to this post, feel free to leave that in the comment section 🙂