Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime was launched way back in 2016 and was running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box. Later the device was upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat officially. However, the device isn’t supporting the official Android 11 update, here we’ll be sharing the full depth guide on how to download and install the unofficial Lineage OS 18 [Alpha, Permissive] for Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime based on Android 11.
So, if you’re one of the Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime (Codenamed – hydrogen/helium) device users and want to use the newly launched Android 11 OS right away on your handset, this guide is for you. Needless to say that due to the Android’s open-source nature, most of the third-party ROM developers and even the Android users are always looking for unlimited possibilities to easily flash the custom firmware. Lineage OS is no exception here and you’ll be glad to hear that you’ll be able to customize the whole UI, lock screen, icons, fonts, themes, notification bar, navigation bar, launcher, etc apart from using the rooted apps (You can also install Root after flashing the Lineage OS on your device).
It’s also worth mentioning that you have to unlock the device bootloader first as all the Android devices do come with a locked bootloader from its manufacturer out of the box. Once you unlocked your device bootloader, you’ll be free to customize, install custom firmware, custom modules, enable root access, and more on your Android device without any limitation. Whereas Google has also uploaded the Android 11 Source Code to AOSP so that the custom firmware developers can easily build their third-party ROM for compatible devices.
Lineage OS 18 Features
LineageOS is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community.
It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
As mentioned, among all the aftermarket firmware, Lineage OS is the best one when it comes to performance, stability, and fully-featured Custom ROM. Thanks to XDA Recognized Developer tarkzim and the Lineage OS Team for this latest ROM.
So, the Android 11-based Lineage OS 18 firmware offers all the useful and popular features like the Conversation Notification, One-Time App Permissions, Notification History, Chat Bubbles, Built-in Screen Recording, Improved Media Player, Smart Reply, New Power Menu, Scoped Storage, Wireless ADB, Pin Apps to Sharesheet, and more.
- Scheduled Dark Mode
- Smart Reply & Smart Folders
- Improved App Suggestions
- Conversations Notification
- Built-in Screen Recording
- Pin Apps to Sharing Menu
- Improved Voice Access (Accessibility)
- Bluetooth Active in Airplane Mode
- Improved Privacy & Security Features
- A New Power Menu
- Redesigned Device Controls
- Redesigned Music Control
- One-Time App Permissions
- Permissions Auto-Reset
- Chat Bubbles
- Notification History
- Wireless Android Auto
- Google Play System Update (Security Patch)
- Talkback braille keyboard
- Improved Lookout Mode
- Improved Camera features (Bokeh Mode, Built-in HAL, and Camera2 API support)
- Enhanced Digital Wellbeing
- Improved Enterprise Mode
- Improved Autofill Keyboard Suggestions
- Nearby Share
- Scoped Storage
- Resume on Reboot
- Blocked Permissions
- Soft Reboot
- Background Location
- Improved Call Screening (Identify Spams)
- Picture-in-picture mode
- 5G detection API
- Hinge angle sensor support
- Ethernet tethering
- Gesture sensitivity
Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime Lineage OS 18 (Download and Install)
The installation is pretty simple and easy. If you have installed any custom ROM before then you will have no issue flashing the ROM as the process is exactly the same. But before proceeding to the installation let me clear that this build is in the very early stage which means there will be bugs and many functions may not work properly. So, we do recommend not to flash the ROM on your primary device.
- Camera / Camcorder
- Double Tap to Wake (From Settings>System>Gestures>Double Tap To Wake )
- IR Blaster (?)
- RIL (LTE/Dual SIM/SMS)
- WiFi Hotspot (2.4Ghz / 5Ghz)
- USB (MTP/PTP)
- Video Playback
- ExFAT SDCard
What’s Not Working:
- Bluetooth Headphone (Media / In-Call)
- Fingerprint Sensor
- Hardware Encryption
- FM Radio
- GPS (?)
- USB (ADB)
- SELinux is permissive
- Laggy and performance issues
- Enable USB Debugging on your Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime. Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock from the Developer Options.
- Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked and your device is rooted and you have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your device has more than 50% battery.
- Make sure you have taken a backup of your important data. Now proceed to install Lineage OS 18 ROM (Android 11) on your Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime device.
- Make sure that you have installed TWRP recovery on your Android device.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
- Download Unofficial Lineage OS 18 (Android 11) – Mi Max (Hydrogen) | Mi Prime (Helium) [Not Available]
- NikGApps for Android 11
- Download latest Magisk (If you want Root access)
Flashing Steps: Lineage OS 18
- Make sure your device is rooted and have the latest TWRP recovery installed. (Check the Pre-Requirement Section Above)
- First, download the files from the above link and extract them.
- Now transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Ensure that the bootloader is unlocked.
- Now reboot to the TWRP recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup by selecting the option from the home screen and then your data and cache from the recovery menu.
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP and wipe cache, data, and system before flashing the ROM
- In order to Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. (Don’t select the internal storage)
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP again and install the ROM which is just a .zip file
- Go to Install -> Install Zip > ROM File (.zip)
- Next flash the Gapps file like custom ROMs
- Last but not least, flash Magisk (optional) if you want to root (not recommended as all devices have different methods)
Once the flashing process is completed, reboot your Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime and you will be booted into Lineage OS 18 ROM Based on Android 11. If you have any doubts regarding this process, feel free to comment below.
Source: XDA Developers