HTC is one of the smartphone brands that seems quite inactive or obsolete when it comes to multiple model releases every year or even pushing the latest firmware updates to its eligible devices regularly. Most importantly, there is no specific software update support policy which additionally forcing users to rethink their next smartphone upgrade. However, for those who’re using 2013’s HTC One Max handset and still want to get a taste of Android 11 then this guide is for them. Here we’ll be sharing the steps to Download/Install Lineage OS 18 on HTC One Max (Android 11).
No need to mention that the Android operating system is a free open-source platform based on Linux and offers unlimited possibilities of customizations that most of the third-party ROM developers and advanced users always looking for. You can easily flash the custom firmware, flash third-party files, mods, root, custom recovery, and more without any major issues.
The only thing is to simply unlock the device bootloader and then you’ll be able to start your system-level customizations. Lineage OS is no exception here and you’ll be glad to hear that you’ll be able to customize the whole UI, lock screen, icons, fonts, themes, notification bar, navigation bar, launcher, etc apart from using the rooted apps (You can also install Root after flashing the Lineage OS on your device).
Lineage OS 18 Features
LineageOS is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community.
It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
As mentioned, among all the aftermarket firmware, Lineage OS is the best one when it comes to performance, stability, and fully-featured Custom ROM. Thanks to tarkzim, XDA Recognized Member, and the Lineage OS Team for this latest ROM.
So, the Android 11-based Lineage OS 18 firmware offers all the useful and popular features like the Conversation Notification, One-Time App Permissions, Notification History, Chat Bubbles, Built-in Screen Recording, Improved Media Player, Smart Reply, New Power Menu, Scoped Storage, Wireless ADB, Pin Apps to Sharesheet, and more.
- Scheduled Dark Mode
- Smart Reply & Smart Folders
- Improved App Suggestions
- Conversations Notification
- Built-in Screen Recording
- Pin Apps to Sharing Menu
- Improved Voice Access (Accessibility)
- Bluetooth Active in Airplane Mode
- Improved Privacy & Security Features
- A New Power Menu
- Redesigned Device Controls
- Redesigned Music Control
- One-Time App Permissions
- Permissions Auto-Reset
- Chat Bubbles
- Notification History
- Wireless Android Auto
- Google Play System Update (Security Patch)
- Talkback braille keyboard
- Improved Lookout Mode
- Improved Camera features (Bokeh Mode, Built-in HAL, and Camera2 API support)
- Enhanced Digital Wellbeing
- Improved Enterprise Mode
- Improved Autofill Keyboard Suggestions
- Nearby Share
- Scoped Storage
- Resume on Reboot
- Blocked Permissions
- Soft Reboot
- Background Location
- Improved Call Screening (Identify Spams)
- Picture-in-picture mode
- 5G detection API
- Hinge angle sensor support
- Ethernet tethering
- Gesture sensitivity
- RIL (LTE/CALL/SMS)
- Camera / Camcorder
- FM Radio
- Wi-Fi Hotspot (2.4Ghz / 5Ghz)
- GNSS GPS
- USB (ADB/MTP/PTP)
- IR Blaster (?)
- Proximity / Light Sensor
What’s Not Working?
- Might not boot for some people
- Camera capture freezes
- Fingerprint Scanner
- Audio Playback
- Hardware Encryption
- SELinux is Enforcing
- UI laggy and glitching
- Lock screen settings, don’t set any lock or you will get boot loops
- F2FS NOT SUPPORTED, PLEASE USE EXT4 DATA/CACHE
- ONLY FOR T6UL VARIANT NOW, OTHERS WON’T BOOT
Supported HTC Models:
Codename – t6: t6ul, t6spr, t6vzw, t6tl (HTC_8088)
Download/Install Lineage OS 18 on HTC One Max (Android 11)
The installation is pretty simple and easy. If you have installed any custom ROM before then you will have no issue flashing the ROM as the process is exactly the same. But before proceeding to the installation let me clear that this build is in the very early stage which means there will be bugs and many functions may not work properly. So, we do recommend not to flash the ROM on your primary device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your HTC One Max. Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock from the Developer Options.
- Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked and your device is rooted and you have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your device has more than 50% battery.
- Make sure you have taken a backup of your important data. Now proceed to install Lineage OS 18 ROM (Android 11) on your HTC One Max device.
- Make sure that you have installed TWRP recovery on your Android device.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
- Official TWRP for HTC One Max
- NikGApps for Android 11 | BitGApps 11.0 | OpenGApps ARM 11.0
- Download latest Magisk (If you want Root access)
Flashing Steps: Lineage OS 18
- Make sure your device is rooted and have the latest TWRP recovery installed. (Check the Pre-Requirement Section Above)
- First, download the files from the above link and extract them.
- Now transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Ensure that the bootloader is unlocked.
- Now reboot to the TWRP recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup by selecting the option from the home screen and then your data and cache from the recovery menu.
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP and wipe cache, data, and system before flashing the ROM
- In order to Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. (Don’t select the internal storage)
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP again and install the ROM which is just a .zip file
- Go to Install -> Install Zip > ROM File (.zip)
- Next flash the Gapps file like custom ROMs
- Last but not least, flash Magisk (optional) if you want to root (not recommended as all devices have different methods)
Once the flashing process is completed, reboot your HTC One Max and you will be booted into Lineage OS 18 ROM Based on Android 11. If you have any doubts regarding this process, feel free to comment below.
Source: XDA Developers