OnePlus devices are always a special treat to flash custom firmware or other mod files to customize heavily due to the wider support of third-party developers. From the beginning of CyanogenMod OS to OxygenOS, OnePlus also offers plenty of extra cushions to third-party developers for providing more & more custom firmware, root files, mod files, etc. Now, talking about the OnePlus’s latest affordable mid-budget segment smartphone named OnePlus Nord, all the interested users can now download/install the AOSP Android 11 ROM easily by following this guide.
OnePlus Nord currently runs on OxygenOS 10 on the top of Android 10 out of the box. Though OxygenOS is by far one of the best in class custom skins over the stock Android UI with plenty of customizations and features, some of the OnePlus device users may not find it useful. Even some of them don’t like the UI or its lack of advanced customization options that can be easily available or brought into the AOSP Custom ROM.
What is AOSP ROM?
AOSP is also known as the Android Open Source Project. Recently, Google has uploaded the newly launched Android 11 source code to AOSP so that all the custom firmware developers can start developing and providing Android 11 based custom ROM for the compatible Android devices.
A big thanks to XDA Senior Member CryllicBuster273 for providing the AOSP ROM for the OnePlus Nord (Codename: avicii). According to the developers or contributors of AOSP ROM, it’s their one and only mission to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device.
Android 11 Features
Now, before heading over to the firmware details and flashing steps, let’s take a quick look at the Android 11 features below.
- Scheduled Dark Mode
- Smart Reply & Smart Folders
- Improved App Suggestions
- Conversations Notification
- Built-in Screen Recording
- Pin Apps to Sharing Menu
- Improved Voice Access (Accessibility)
- Bluetooth Active in Airplane Mode
- Improved Privacy & Security Features
- A New Power Menu
- Redesigned Device Controls
- Redesigned Music Control
- One-Time App Permissions
- Permissions Auto-Reset
- Chat Bubbles
- Notification History
- Wireless Android Auto
- Google Play System Update (Security Patch)
- Talkback braille keyboard
- Improved Lookout Mode
- Improved Camera features (Bokeh Mode, Built-in HAL, and Camera2 API support)
- Enhanced Digital Wellbeing
- Improved Enterprise Mode
- Improved Autofill Keyboard Suggestions
- Nearby Share
- Scoped Storage
- Resume on Reboot
- Blocked Permissions
- Soft Reboot
- Background Location
- Improved Call Screening (Identify Spams)
- Picture-in-picture mode
- 5G detection API
- Hinge angle sensor support
- Ethernet tethering
- Gesture sensitivity
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- In-display Fingerprint
- Video Playback
- Alert Slider
What’s Not Working?
- Permissive for now
OnePlus Nord: Download/Install AOSP Android 11 ROM
The installation is pretty simple and easy. If you have installed any custom ROM before then you will have no issue flashing the ROM as the process is exactly the same. But before proceeding to the installation let me clear that this build is in the very early stage which means there will be bugs and many functions may not work properly. So, we do recommend not to flash the ROM on your primary device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your OnePlus Nord. Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock from the Developer Options.
- Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked and your device is rooted and you have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your device has more than 50% battery.
- Make sure you have taken a backup of your important data. Now proceed to install AOSP ROM (Android 11) on your OnePlus Nord device.
- Make sure that you have installed TWRP recovery on your Android device.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
- Download AOSP ROM (OnePlus Nord)
- Download Android 11 Gapps
- Download latest Magisk (If you want root access)
- Make sure your device is rooted and have the latest TWRP recovery installed. (Check the Pre-Requirement Section Above)
- First, download the files from the above link and extract them
- Now transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Now reboot to the TWRP recovery
- Take a Nandroid backup by selecting the option from the home screen and then your data and cache from the recovery menu.
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP and wipe cache, data, and system before flashing the ROM
- In order to Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. (Don’t select the internal storage)
- Now return to the main menu of TWRP again and install the ROM which is just a .zip file
- Go to Install -> Install Zip > ROM File (.zip)
- Next flash the Gapps file like custom ROMs
- Last but not least, flash Magisk (optional) if you want to root (not recommended as all devices have different methods)
Once the flashing process is completed, reboot your phone and you will be booted into AOSP ROM Based on Android 11. If you have any doubts regarding this process, feel free to comment below.
Source: XDA Developers