Samsung Galaxy has started 2022 by launching their latest flagships Galaxy S22 Series in the first quarter of the year. The lineup consists of three amazing handsets – Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22 Ultra, and Galaxy S22+. Unlike the previous S series handsets, the new lineup will come with Snapdragon processors for all regions except Europe. Despite having Snapdragon processors, it is still possible to unlock the bootloader.
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra comes with the Note experience. There are numerous improvements in the lineup over its predecessors. However, everything isn’t perfect. There are a few changes in the new firmware restricting the users from extracting the firmware to the root level. Luckily, you don’t have to extract your firmware to the level as the file needed for rooting the Galaxy S22 handsets can be found in one time extract.
Samsung has released the new Snapdragon variant in India and it can be rooted easily as there are no restrictions on unlocking the bootloader. However, it is restricted in the USA and Canada regions. Although you can still unlock the bootloader in those regions via paid services. If you’re a Galaxy S22 Series user who is looking to root their device, then this article is for you. In this article, you’ll get to know all about what is bootloader, how to root Samsung Galaxy S22 by unlocking the bootloader, its advantages, disadvantages, and a lot more.
What is Bootloader and Bootloader Unlock?
A Bootloader is a code that initiates before any Operating System starts to run on a mobile or a computer. Bootloaders basically give instructions to the hardware to boot whether operating system or recovery mode before a boot logo appears. All the bootloaders on Android devices are locked by default due to privacy or security measures.
Most of the Android smartphones come with a locked bootloader. It prevents users to modify the root settings of the device. Users can’t flash any third-party ROMs or Mods while the bootloader is locked. It is a security feature on Android smartphones.
Advantages of Unlocking Bootloader
Disadvantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- The device warranty may void
- All the data will be erased
- If something goes wrong following the steps, it may brick your device
- A device (without locked bootloader) is prone to hackers
RootMyGalaxy.net will not be held responsible for any kind of damage that occurred to your device while following this tutorial. Do it at your own risk.
- Make sure the battery percentage is more than 60%.
- A Windows PC and a USB Cable is needed.
- Make sure you have installed Android USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download and Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Now, enable the Developer option. Guide How to Enable Developer Options & USB Debugging on Android
- Create a full backup of your device. (Non-Rooted Method)
- Download the Galaxy S22 firmware (use Samsung Firmware Downloader or Frija)
Bootloader Unlocking on Samsung Galaxy S22/ S22+/ S22 Ultra
#1 Method: Enable OEM Unlocking
First, enable Developers Options on your device and then USB Debugging.
- Go to the device Settings > About Phone > Software Information > More.
- Tap on the Build Number quickly for 7 times. The Developer Options will be enabled.
- Next, go back to the main Settings menu > Scroll down and tap on Developer Options.
- Turn on the OEM Unlock toggle. If prompted, tap on Enable to confirm it.
- Before proceeding take a full backup
- Finally, Switch off your handset and press Power + Volume Down together > connect your handset to the PC/Laptop using a USB cable.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button on your phone to unlock the bootloader. Done!!!
Note: For newer galaxy devices you may need some extra steps, follow the steps below
- Now your bootloader is unlocked but the new “Vaultkeeper” service will still prevent you to flash any ROM or other files.
- So you have to make sure that the new Vaultkeepr allow it. To make sure, do the initial setup as the device’s data are now erased after unlocking the bootloader (your phone must be connected to the internet (mobile data or WiFi).
- Now go to “Settings” > “Developer options” and make sure that the “OEM Unlocking” toggle is turned ON and greyed out. Done!!
#2 Method: Using ADB and Fastboot via PC
- Boot your device into bootloader mode.
- Once the device booted into Bootloader mode, connect your device with a PC or Computer.
- Now Go To The ADB Folder and open the Command window there (To Do so, “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu) or You can just simply type “CMD” in the address bar to launch the command window.
- The Command Prompt window will open.
- Type the following command and hit Enter to check whether your connected device is running in bootloader/fastboot mode or not:
- Now, you will see a device code which means your device is connected to bootloader mode.
- Type the following command and press Enter to unlock the bootloader easily:
fastboot oem unlock
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, you can either reboot your device manually or type the below command and hit Enter:
- That’s it. Your handset bootloader is now unlocked.
How to root Samsung Galaxy S22 /S22 Plus / S22 Ultra
- On your computer, extract the Galaxy S22 Firmware and look for an AP file (file that begins with AP). Copy the file to your phone’s storage.
- On your Galaxy S22, download and install the Magisk app.
- On your Android phone, open the Magisk app and select the first Install option.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking if you want to select and patch a file.
- When the file is finished downloading, double-click it and then wait for the patching procedure to finish. It might take some time to apply the update.
- The output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar. Copy the patched tar file to your PC. On your PC, open Odin Flash Tool. In the AP box on the right side, add the magisk_patched file. Add BL, CP, and CSC files from extracted firmware to
- Turn on your Galaxy S22 and boot it into Download Mode.
- The Odin tool will identify your phone and give the first stack on top of ID: COM a blue color.
- After you’ve completed all of these steps, click the Start button. The patched Magisk file will start flashing on your phone.
- The procedure will end with a Pass message and your phone will reboot by itself. You’ve just rooted your Galaxy S22 phone.
That’s it, the entire tutorial on how to root Samsung Galaxy S22 Series, as well as a step-by-step guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Galaxy S22. And if you have any questions, please leave a remark below.