As a part of the Patch Tuesday rollout for the month of August, Microsoft has started rolling out the new update KB5016629 for Windows 11 users. The update includes patches for bug fixes, security vulnerabilities, and improvements.
The update will bump up the version number to build 22000.856. Meanwhile, the changes, bug fixes, and more might prevent the users from opening the Start Menu and addressing various security issues.
The update will include the improvements and non-security fixes that were previously available with the update preview on July 25th. For instance, the update will bring in changes to Focus Assist, and add a new option for upgrading to a new version during the initial setup, while also bringing the specific Windows Autopilot Deployment scenario.
Changelog for the Windows 11 KB5016629 update
After installing the non-security update, Windows 11 will upgrade the build number to 22000.856. The KB5016629 cumulative update will include several bug fixes and improvements. You’ll be able to configure Windows 11 for receiving important notifications with Focus Assist enabled. When the notification sends its first key notification, Windows 11 will ask you if you want to continue seeing the notifications from that point forward. It can be changed by going to the Settings -> System -> Notification page under the particular application. Some of the other highlights of the update include –
- The first time that you’ll start a new Windows device, you’ll be able to update to a new version of Windows 11 (as long as one is available)
- Fixed the bug causing the File Explorer to freeze when using the “play” and “pause” keyboard buttons
- Fixed the bug that was causing File Explorer to stop working when you were clicking on the Start Menu’s context menu
- Fixed the problems involved with opening the Start Menu
- Fixed the problem involved with opening the Troubleshooting Tools
- Hovering over the search icon on the taskbar will work as expected and won’t display a blank window
How to download the Windows 11 build 22000.856 (KB5016629) update
KB5016629 is a mandatory cumulative update that contains the August 2022 Patch Tuesday security updates for vulnerabilities discovered in previous months. Windows 11 users will be able to install the new update by going to Start -> Settings -> Windows Update before clicking on “Check for Updates”.