Lenovo-owned Motorola brand is known for its budget category smartphones and these days the company has also entered into the flagship market to compete with other OEMs. However, the software update policy of the Motorola brand isn’t good enough when it comes to major Android OS update or even the latest security patch releases. But thanks to Android’s open-source nature and a lot of custom firmware devs for making customizations, mods, third-party ROMs everything so much easy to get and use on any Android device (Android 8.0 Oreo or above). Well, here we’ve shared the steps to download and install the Lineage OS 18 for Moto G4 Play, Moto G3 Turbo, and Moto G 2015 models with ease.
Android 11 has been released last month officially by Google after pushing a couple of Developer Preview updates and then Public Beta updates also. So, it’s the golden chance for all of those Android lovers who’re waiting for the Android 11 on their devices officially but there is no announcement available yet by the company. Meanwhile, if in case, your device isn’t listed on the eligible Android 11 devices or somehow your device model will receive the update after a couple of months, then this guide is for you.
Lineage OS 18 is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROM or you can say a third-party aftermarket firmware that is so much popular for years due to its stability, performance, ease of software updates, customizability, active developer support, and more. Most importantly, Lineage OS 18 is based on the latest Android 11 operating system that means it includes all the built-in Android 11 features, improvements, and more along with the capability of customizing the whole system/UI via mods, root access, etc.
What is Lineage OS 18?
To recall, Lineage OS is a free to use and open-source custom operating system that can be easily installed using custom recovery on Android devices like smartphones, tablet devices. It’s based on the Android AOSP source code and features all the exclusive features that come with Android versions. Most importantly, it comes from the CyanogenMod family or you can say a successor custom ROM with great stability and performance than any other custom firmware.
Moreover, Lineage OS users always receive faster software updates that will bug fixes and new improvements or features. Thanks to XDA Recognized Developer althafvly for this latest ROM compatible for Moto G 2015, Moto G3 Turbo, and Moto G4 Play models.
Lineage OS 18 Features
So, the Android 11-based Lineage OS 18 firmware offers all the useful and popular features like the Conversation Notification, One-Time App Permissions, Notification History, Chat Bubbles, Built-in Screen Recording, Improved Media Player, Smart Reply, New Power Menu, Scoped Storage, Wireless ADB, Pin Apps to Sharesheet, and more.
- Scheduled Dark Mode
- Smart Reply & Smart Folders
- Improved App Suggestions
- Conversations Notification
- Built-in Screen Recording
- Pin Apps to Sharing Menu
- Improved Voice Access (Accessibility)
- Bluetooth Active in Airplane Mode
- Improved Privacy & Security Features
- A New Power Menu
- Redesigned Device Controls
- Redesigned Music Control
- One-Time App Permissions
- Permissions Auto-Reset
- Chat Bubbles
- Notification History
- Wireless Android Auto
- Google Play System Update (Security Patch)
- Talkback braille keyboard
- Improved Lookout Mode
- Improved Camera features (Bokeh Mode, Built-in HAL, and Camera2 API support)
- Enhanced Digital Wellbeing
- Improved Enterprise Mode
- Improved Autofill Keyboard Suggestions
- Nearby Share
- Scoped Storage
- Resume on Reboot
- Blocked Permissions
- Soft Reboot
- Background Location
- Improved Call Screening (Identify Spams)
- Picture-in-picture mode
- 5G detection API
- Hinge angle sensor support
- Ethernet tethering
- Gesture sensitivity
Install Lineage OS 18: Moto G4 Play, Moto G3 Turbo, and Moto G 2015
The installation is pretty simple and easy. If you have installed any custom ROM before then you will have no issue flashing the ROM as the process is exactly the same. But before proceeding to the installation let me clear that this build is in the very early stage which means there will be bugs and many functions may not work properly. So, we do recommend not to flash the ROM on your primary device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Moto G 2015, Moto G3 Turbo, and Moto G4 Play. Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock from the Developer Options.
- Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked and your device is rooted and you have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your device has more than 50% battery.
- Make sure you have taken a backup of your important data. Now proceed to install Lineage OS 18 ROM (Android 11) on your Moto G 2015, Moto G3 Turbo, and Moto G4 Play device.
- Make sure that you have installed TWRP recovery on your Android device.
RootMyGalaxy.net is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
- Lineage OS 18 ROM – Moto G 2015 (Compatible with Moto G3 Turbo and Moto G4 Play)
- OpenGApps Nano for Android 11
- Download latest Magisk (If you want Root access)
Flashing Steps: Lineage OS 18 ROM
- Make sure your device is rooted and have the latest TWRP recovery installed. (Check the Pre-Requirement Section Above)
- First, download the files from the above link and extract them.
- Next, transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Ensure that the bootloader is unlocked.
- Now, reboot to the TWRP recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup by selecting the option from the home screen and then your data and cache from the recovery menu.
- Now, return to the main menu of TWRP and wipe cache, data, and system before flashing the ROM
- In order to Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. (Don’t select the internal storage)
- Now, return to the main menu of TWRP again and install the ROM which is just a .zip file
- Go to Install -> Install Zip > ROM File (.zip)
- Next, flash the Gapps file like custom ROMs
- Last but not least, flash Magisk (optional) if you want to root (not recommended as all devices have different methods)
Once the flashing process is completed, reboot your Moto G 2015, Moto G3 Turbo, and Moto G4 Play and you will be booted into Lineage OS 18 ROM Based on Android 11. If you have any doubts regarding this process, feel free to comment below.
Source: XDA Developers