When it comes to the Android platform, unlocking the bootloader is the first step to unveil the possibilities of customizations on your Android smartphone. The bootloader is a small program or a code that runs the operating system on the device memory after powering on your device. It decides whether your device will gonna boot into system or recovery. So, it’s quite important for a device which runs on an operating system like smartphone, tablet, computer, smartwatch, smart TV, etc. If you’re using the Google Pixel 4 handset then you can get the Easiest Way To Unlock Bootloader and Root Pixel 4.
After unlocking the bootloader, you will be able to install any Custom Firmware or Recovery or install Root on your phone easily. Some times, some of the device bootloaders may contain an extra added layer of security that always checks the OEM default operating system. Therefore, all the smartphone OEMs provide an encrypted bootloader on its devices. Now, if users want to unlock that bootloader on a specific model, they will require an official unlock code which will be provided via OEMs basically. But these days, you can manually unlock the bootloader on some of the devices easily by following some of the steps below.
Easiest Way To Unlock Bootloader and Root Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL
Before heading over to the process, you should take a complete backup of the important data of your phone. Otherwise, the bootloader unlocking process will wipe out all the device data completely. Ensure that some times, the manufacturer warranty also voids due to the bootloader unlocking. So, check with your device manufacturer at first.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Pixel 4 / 4 XL
- First, enable Developers Options, USB Debugging, and OEM Unlock on your device. (Guide)
- Now, download the ADB & Fastboot Tool and setup on your PC.
- Next, go to the installed ADB & Fastboot Folder in the system directory on the computer. Then do Shift + Right Click to open PowerShell Window Here.
- Make sure to backup all your data as the unlocking bootloader process will delete all your data.
- Connect your device to PC using the original USB data cable.
- Boot your Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL into the bootloader mode by using the command below:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, to unlock your phone, enter this command in the CMD:
fastboot flashing unlock
- On your phone allow the device to be unlocked (use Vol keys to navigate and Power key to select)
- Once the Google Pixel 4 or Google Pixel 4 XL is unlocked, it will restart to Bootloader mode again.
- Now, enter the following command to restart your phone into the system normally:
- You’re done.
What is Rooting An Android Device Mean?
Rooting is the process of gaining full admin control of the Android device. You can use the device to its full potential. ‘Rooting’ means giving yourself special privileges or “root permissions” on your phone. It’s similar to running programs as administrators in Windows.
After rooting your device you can install different MODs, kernel, ROMs on your device. You can install the latest Android updates (like the Android 9.0 Pie or above) On old devices by installing third-party ROMs like Lineage OS 16 or AOSP Pie. You can overclock the CPU and GPU of your device to get the best performance. You can hibernate any app you want. You can underclock the CPU to get a better battery life.
For more information about Android rooting, check out our detailed post here > What Is Rooting Android Phone? Advantages And Disadvantages
How To Root Pixel 4 and 4 XL With Magisk Manager
Before heading over to the process, you have to download the Stock Boot Image or Factory Image file for your specific model and builds.
#1 Download Links:
For Pixel 4 (Codename: Flame) – Android 10
For Pixel 4 XL (Codename: Coral) – Android 10
Download the boot file according to your device. Once downloaded, unzip the file and open it, look for a .zip extension file which has a name starting with image-flame or image-coral. Open that file too, now you will see a file named boot.img (This is the official stock image or firmware).
#2 Patch boot image
- Move the boot.img to your device’s internal storage.
- Download & install the latest Magisk Manager on your device
- Open magisk manager, On the main screen, select Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File
- Now select the boot image (boot.img). Magisk will start to patch the boot image.
- After completion, the file will be saved as “magisk_patched.img” in your Downloads folder
#3 Finally, Root Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL
- Connect your device to PC and transfer the “magisk_patched.img” file from your phone to the installed ADB & Fastboot folder on the PC.
- Now, type the following command to boot your device to bootloader mode (Make sure your device is connected to the PC).
adb reboot bootloader
- Now issue the command given below to Flash the patched boot image
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- Done !!! Just reboot your device. Your device should be rooted now.
If you have any questions regarding this guide, feel free to leave that in the comment section down below.